Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It All Works Out In The End

This past winter I bought some fabric to make a valance in our kitchen…I figured…how hard could that be?  Well the thought was easy…it was the part of actually getting to the point to make them that was difficult!  It took me at least 8 months to take the fabric out of the bag again and figure out what/how I was going to go about doing this little project…

Here is what my curtains looked like before

This is the fabric that I bought, the thing that triggered me to do new curtains was the fact that I painted my kitchen cabinets and changed the color scheme…I will do a separate blog about that at some point…anyway….here is the fabric I had for my curtains….

 

So I figured, hmmm this should be easy to make….first, I had to change the color of thread in my lovely sewing machine that my mom and dad got me for Christmas…

 

As you can see, I had a LITTLE issue with the bobbin….but my little friend Wine helped me keep calm about this…
 

Once I had that all figured out, I measured and marked (with sidewalk chalk)

 
Then, it was time sew and hang my new curtains...I was so excited as I had this vision of beautiful curtains in my kitchen and everyone that stopped over would be all, "Hey, are those new curtains, those are really nice!  Where did you get them, I want some!" and I would be all, "Oh those, I just whipped those up on my sewing machine one night, no biggy..." well once I hung the curtains (and Jacob laughed a bit) I realized the before mentioned conversation...would...never...take...place....it looked more like I just hung a pillow case on my window...

 
This, my friends, made me really sad

 But then, thinking to myself...I realized that at some point, my goal was to make new pillows for our couch upstairs!  So, I just used that fabric to make pillows.....I already had the stuffing because a couple of years ago, we bought a very nice couch off of craigslist...however, the previous owners must have wanted to feel like they were getting eaten by the couch because they added so much extra stuffing to the back cushions, it was ridiculous!  So, I wanted the pillows done NOW to be resourceful, so I decided the couch could spare plenty of stuffing!
I cut and sewed my "curtain" and started stuffing...
 
When I was almost finished stuffing my first pillow, I realized that I should PROBABLY turn the pillow back from being inside out...who would have thought....hmmm
drank half a bottle of wine made a curtain and two pillows in about 2 hours...from start to finish...and here is the finished product...I plan on making another longer pillow to go in between the two pillows...which I will post pictures of that when I have it finished...so exciting!

 
If I had known then, what I know now, I would have bought a bigger pattern...It kind of gets lost...but I am hoping the bigger pillow with a different pattern helps change that! I will be sure to post those pictures once I get that done as well! 

1 comment:

  1. If you ever need help with sewing something or just a friendly pointer, I am sure my mom would be more than happy to help you out. She has made me curtains, pillows, costumes, etc. The only thing I have ever been able to sew are quilted place mats and two lap quilts ... :) And I agree threading the bobbin is the worst thing to do, you should be able to buy those things with the thread of your choice already on there... :)

    ReplyDelete